The Geek & The Chic

Tuesday, June 28, 2005

What's New

So I've taken the advice of two very good friends and have created my own blog. These two friends don't even know each other and live 5000 miles apart and yet told me to do the same thing. The only problem is, I'm not sure how much of what I say or think is interesting to other people. Of course, so much has happened in the last year that writing it down helps make it more permanent and helps me carve out my niche in this very crowded world of cyberspace. I've always wanted to make a mark and create a legacy. Perhaps this is it.

I just got married in February to a soldier in the United States Army. He is the love of my life. It took me 37 years to find him -- in the last year of that search he was hiding in Iraq. What began as an email correspondence in my effort to show support for the troops blossomed into something much more than I ever expected. People always say they never knew love could be like this and I thought that was just a saying but I've discovered it is true. I get to wake up every day next to my best friend -- what could be better?

While the love of my life was in Iraq, I was in Alaska working at the ABC affiliate. I always wanted to work in television ever since college. Before that, I thought I would work in radio. My sister's friend built a radio station in his house and invited his friends over to play DJ on weekends. I thought it was the greatest thing. But I also knew my voice was not the radio type. The women on radio are always husky sounding unless you're Dr. Laura and I don't get paid to dispense advice (but I'll always offer my two cents!). In college, I had to take a TV news production class and I was hooked. TV is what I've done for the last ten years. I wasn't sure there was life after TV but indeed there is, at least for now.

Marriage meant a cross country move to NY. While my husband in-processes, I have busied myself becoming famaliar with Watertown and the environs as well as figuring out how to be an army wife and trying to find a place to live. That alone is worth a month of blogs.

In the coming months, my hope and plan is to write about this -- my life in its new form and shape maybe offering a different perspective or just my own two cents. This will be a good way to keep in touch with those I've left behind in Alaska as well as family and friends closer to home.

2 Comments:

  • as you would say (but not spell this way): tray mag-ni-fique.
    hey, i'm not French, nor do i play one on tv. good on you for finally taking advice and starting this here blog o yours. i look forward to your future blogging endeavours.

    By Blogger Faith M., at 2:14 PM  

  • yippie!!!! I like it, you write better than me so its a natural for you!!!! mine is more visual!

    By Blogger Monica, at 2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home