The Geek & The Chic

Friday, July 15, 2005

Help Me, I'm Melting

The above reference is a famous quote from the Wizard of Oz, my friend Monica's favorite movie. The witch melts after they threw water or something on her. For the record, I'm not a huge fan of that movie. Oh believe me, I've tried but I've just never been good at science fiction or fantasy movies. But back to topic, I wish someone would throw a bucket of water on me. I cannot believe how hot it is here. And the humidity! I never thought I would miss Alaska's non-existent summer weather but I am. Who'da thunk that northern New York could get this hot?

We had two major thunderstorms in two days. The first one struck Wednesday morning about 4am. It was so loud it woke us up. The lightening was quick and frantic and the thunder was as loud as I've ever heard. If it truly is the angels bowling then they must have all been bowling strikes! We lost power three times. It stormed again on Thursday evening and again we lost power. Today, Friday is hot again. It must be in the high 80's or low 90's. Who really cares when it's so hot that you perspire as soon as you step out of the shower?

It's been a whole week since I wrote and there are other topics to bring the two or three of you who read this little blog o'mine up to speed: Monday was move in day. The movers came about 11am and started to unload all my household goods from Alaska. When they were done, every known box in the universe was in my kitchen. Okay, not really, but it certainly seemed so. I continue to unpack as I maneuver through the maze of boxes still stacked in the bedroom and living room. The kitchen is mostly done. To me, the kitchen is the most important room in the house and that had to be done first. The living room and bedroom will be done this weekend.

On Tuesday, I waited around for furniture delivery men to come. They were very nice men who asked me where I wanted things to go and let me take my time deciding without making me feel silly. One of them complained about the salespeople at the store saying that all they did was sit around watching TV while they waited for customers. What could I say to that?

On Wednesday, The Day of Storms, the cable guy came. He was actually here before noon. He liked to talk and by the time he was done, I knew he was married, had two kids and owned an oak desk inherited from his grandfather. He also served three years in the Navy and his wife is a nurse. Oh, he has an Associate's degree and will be going back to get some sort of vocational training on the GI Bill. See? Now you know as much as I do.

Tonight, the husband will be home early and I am making Chicken Quesadillas. Then, we will drive to Alexandria Bay for what is probably one of the last drive in movie theaters in existence. It's a choice of either Willy Wonka or Bewitched. The other movie I'd really like to see is "Must Love Dogs" with John Cusack. That should be good. He's one of my favorite actors.

That's enough of a break -- boxes beckon me to unload their treasures. Have a great weekend all.
PS: Update: My dad's out of the hospital and doing very well. Thanks for all your prayers

1 Comments:

  • g-lynne! there is a drive inn movie in newberg oregon...my old college town. hope you enjoyed the movie. are you going to watch the penguin movie?

    By Blogger Faith M., at 4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home