The Geek & The Chic

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Still Here

Ah, too much time has gone by since I last posted. It's so gosh darn hard when you don't have a computer. Hopefully mine will come back soon. My sister still has it, hopefully fixing whatever it was that caused it to run so slowly.

Last week, I did two of my first army spouse type things to do. On Tuesday I attended an FRG meeting. FRG stands for Family Readiness Group and its members are soldiers, spouses, civillians -- just about anybody can attend the meetings. The meeting was headed by the Command Sergeant Major's (CSM) wife. She did an alright job but I was glad when the woman sitting next to me suggested we go around the table and introduce ourselves. There are several reasons why these groups exist. They provide information to spouses about the unit's deployment, they organize parties (like a children's Halloween party or an adults Christmas party) and also help with various other needs.

The other "army spouse" thing I did was attend something called, "1 2 3 Army Life & Me" which was a series of classes designed to help new spouses acquaint themselves with the army. It was a two day event and the classes covered everything from army acronyms to protocol as well as fincancial readiness. I did very well with the acronym thing, I even won a prize for the most correct. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or I'm just learning to think like the army. Oh, another very helpful class offered was recognizing military ranks. Now this is something I have found amusing. Husband is very good at spotting an officer coming a mile away. He'll say to me, "There's an officer coming, I have to salute." and I'll be like, "How can you tell?" and then the soldier approaches, sure enough he's an officer, and up goes his arm to render the salute. So we learned to recognize ranks which is a good thing. But it wasn't until later that night that I discovered husband's secret to that amazing ability to recognize an officer miles away. We were on our way to Red Lobster for supper and I was telling him about that class. And he said, "I still get confused between first and second lieutenants but if it's shiny, I salute it." A-HA! That was the key the whole time. The insignia on an officer's uniform is made of metal but on enlisted it's fabric whihc is why he could tell a mile away who was coming. Now I know.

But speaking of ranks and such, it is confirmed with 100% certainty that he's headed to Afghanistan next year. The soldiers in his unit were told that unless they were unable to walk or were pregnant, they were going. I'll have lots to say about that, as we get closer to the deployment date and things start to happen as the unit prepares for it. I guess I really am a soldier's wife.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home