The Geek & The Chic

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I'm On Canadian Radio

Okay, not really. I was thinking of that Wall of Voodoo Song (Mexican Radio). But we get so many Canadian stations, I've lost count. That's just radio -- we get at least two TV stations too.

I bring this up because of my intolerably long commute. Yes, I am still working in Syracuse and trying to quit. The owner won't let me. I think I will have to go in next week and just follow Nancy Reagan's advice and just say no. Anyway, being in the car for two hours a day gives me lots of radio listening time. When I'm in the H2O vicinity, the choices are between NY and Canadian statoins. Closer to Syracuse, there are a ton of choices and the problem is I can't decide what to listen to.

There are so many choices out of Syracuse. Many of them offering various music formats-- most of which I don't care for. I can't find a jazz station. What kind of big city market doesn't offer a jazz station? And talk radio. I became hooked on local talk shows while living in Anchorage. There's a guy in the afternoons on a station here but since they talk about Syracuse (which really doesn't affect me) I can't find it all that interesting. I also think he's not as personable as some other hosts I've listened to. Ah, Mike Poracaro of the 50,000 watt Blowtorch, where are you when I need you?

But getting back to Canadian radio. There are two FM stations I find myself tuning in. One is called Joe FM and the other is Fly FM. I don't know when it became de riguer to use catchy one word phrases but they have. Joe's format is "we play anything" and they do. There's alot of stuff I don't recognize (but then again, I spent the 80's actively avoiding Top 40) and Fly's format is more mainstream. It's not bad. There are also other stations -- I can pick up BBC World reports, CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) and even some French Canadian stations. They're fun. You'd think after studying that language for five years I'd know what they were saying.

Joe FM is engaged in a contest if you guess the correct year something happened you win a free pizza. The place offering the pizza is called Ta-Ta's. I don't think I want to know anymore than that, but doesn't it make you wonder?

2 Comments:

  • mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    ta ta pizza...whut?????


    I set my radio on scan and it scans up and down until I hear a song i Like, this may take 2 hours....

    By Blogger Monica, at 10:07 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Monica, at 10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home