The Geek & The Chic

Saturday, February 25, 2006

What I Really (Really) Want

Everyone who knows Husband has deployed is asking, "Is there anything you need?" And I always say no but that's not true. Let me tell you what I want (what I really, really want).

I want someone to come and shovel the snow. We've had more snow fall since Husband's been gone than we've had all winter. Every time it snows, I'm out there with my shovel, trying to move the snow that's accumulated in the driveway. There's a snowblower for the unit but I don't have the little card that comes from taking the safety class the army says you need to take to use it. I'm wondering when the last time was the army checked on this particular snowblower. I think it might be circa 1970. It's bright orange. It's being held together with a screwdriver, jerry-rigged by somebody when the original piece, whatever it was, probably rattled off and got lost in the 2' storms this area gets. Every once in a while, while you're blowing the snow, you have to use a long pole to unclog the chute otherwise it gets to the point where all you're doing is wasting the gasoline it guzzles. Did I mention the noise? Earplugs should be standard issue with it. Oh, and it doesn't start unless it's been plugged in for a couple of hours. When you're lucky enough to get it to start, you can do a driveway or two (there are four in this unit) before it decides it's time to rest and shuts down. To tell you the truth, I'm afraid of it.

Then there's the evil snowplow driver who loves to push snow back into the driveway apron area. My problem with this is that it isn't my snow. I already moved my snow away and here he is, giving me more to get rid of. I tell you, there's no place to put it. I've created a mountain at the end of the driveway that's almost as tall as me. My arms ache from shoveling my snow from my driveway. This snow he's giving me belongs to someone else. I'm not tall enough to pile more on that mountain and as I perform my sorry attempt to do just that, it just blows back into my face from the incessant wind. Furthermore, the fingers on my right hand are starting to cramp up and there's an ache every time I squeeze the toothpaste tube or shake my fist at the evil snowplow driver.

I do have a plan however. The next time someone asks if I need anything I'll say, "Yes, bring your snow shovel over." Either that, or move to Hawaii.

2 Comments:

  • Thank goodness David has a snow blower, yeah the training course is dont stick your fingers near the blades EVER, lots of dopey people lost fingers recently , its just logical.......

    By Blogger Monica, at 1:14 PM  

  • I hear ya! Although my husband's home, the very reason of his return (the bad back) leaves me still with the job of shoveling. 3 1/2 more weeks til the move to Arizona! No need for a shovel there.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home