The Geek & The Chic

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Oscar, Shmoscar

For the record, I do not watch award shows.

Seriously, I hate award shows. They are entirely self serving excuses for people with already inflated egos to pat themselves some more on the back. Isn't it enough, that if we are so inclined, we pay the $8 to see the movie? You need more validation than the money in your bank account that you've done a good job? I get so irritated at the People magazine and the rest of its kind of "journalism" that it makes me want to scream. I don't care about Brad and Jen and Angelina, Nick and Jessica or anybody else for that matter. Why does it matter to me what they do?

That whole culture fosters the "have vs. have nots" in this country. Now granted, to succeed in any profession takes alot of hard work and if you're talented and chosen well, you will be rewarded. We all have a passion for something, something that helps fulfill us, maybe even explain who we are, or why we are the way we are. But my problem with Hollywood is this: You work some long, hard hours on a movie for a month, maybe a year (whatever) and then you take some time off and reap the benefits. In the meantime, a single mother works two jobs trying to make ends meet. She can't afford a nanny, let alone a babysitter. Where's her credit? Where's her reward?

I just don't get it.

2 Comments:

  • yippie!!! I agree, I dont see any movies they are just too expensive!(but dumb me did watch the awards....hee hee)

    By Blogger Monica, at 11:42 PM  

  • i'd give the lady a reward, but i'm still trying to get mine. selfish, yes. i was happy to see the Asians being well represented though. especially that cute little geisha lady and the director with the three letter names.
    i limit my intake of movies to artistic pleasures that titilate my soul.

    By Blogger Faith M., at 2:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home