The Geek & The Chic

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Your 30 Seconds Are Up, Now Please Go!

I've been watching a lot of TV lately. Then again, maybe I'm watching just as much (or little) and noticing the commercials more. And some of them just need to go away.

I've always had a critical eye about commercials. In my younger days, I thought I wanted to be a copywriter and write those ads myself. I don't know -- somewhere along the way I took a left instead of a right and ended up on the other side of television. And that's fine. No complaints -- it is what I chose after all. But should anyone reading this want to offer me the opportunity to write a few spots, I won't say no. But let me point out too, that the bonus of not writing the commercials means that I get to play armchair quarterback with all of the fun and none of the guilt. And now I present Part 1 of 2 of my list of commercials that just need to go away.

The Old Navy commercials. Sure they've got catchy tunes and happy people but none of those people look like me.

Fructis Garner Shampoo commercials. This one -- what can I say? The gist of the ad is how strong the shampoo makes your hair. Hair is dead, people! Hair has no strength and no amount of shampoo will bring it back to life. Move on.

Honey Bunches of Oats commercials. That woman who asks, "Are you hungry?" No, I'm not, but thanks for asking. Now go away.

Crest Toothpaste. Get rid of the bam. Old. Passe'. In short, boring.

Nextel Phone. There are two or three in rotation. The one I can't stand has the "Jump Up & Down for Joy" room. Can you say stupid? I can. Hey Nextel, it's stupid!

In the infamous words of television, stay tuned for part 2.

7 Comments:

  • I hear commercials all day and for the life of me I cant remember what they are for, I like the "I pinch; Commercial I have in my blog

    By Blogger Monica, at 4:36 PM  

  • i concur with monica. i just saw the pinch commerical and its so cute.

    speaking as a person who made commericals. i love to watch commercials the dumdum ones and the great ones.

    i personally like the new allstate commercials and the vw commercials for their air bags.

    By Blogger Faith M., at 8:22 PM  

  • Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 AM  

  • Hallo I absolutely adore your site. You have beautiful graphics I have ever seen.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:56 AM  

  • Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 AM  

  • Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:55 AM  

  • Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home